Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Measurements

Today I gave my first presentation. The topic was "Why measurements are important." The students are currently reviewing SI units and several of their lab activities involve measuring various things. With the ~10 minute presentation I wanted to bring in a real world connection, since it's not obvious how important accurate and precise measurements are to everyday life.

The format for this presentation was different from the ones I gave last year. The presentation was designed to be short (10-15 minutes) and I wanted it to be a question oriented discussion (read that as more interactive) rather than me just talking at them.

2 comments:

Carol Cramer said...

Monisha,

What were the students reactions to your presentation? Did they understand your point that accurate and precise measurements are important to everyday life?

Carol Cramer

Monisha said...

I think they understood. One of my examples was getting medicine from a doctor, and the all understood that.