Monday, October 6, 2008

Work ethic

I've been interacting with the two classes of biology for three weeks now; some students are doing well while others are not. The difference between the two groups of students is that those who are doing well are making a sincere effort and doing their work.

From many of the students who aren't doing well, I hear that the class is boring or that they don't like the subject; it is not that they cannot do the work, they choose not to do it. All students in Michigan need to pass biology to graduate from high school; however, that doesn't seem to be enough motiviation to get these students to do the work that need to do to pass the class...

This mentally is different from the one that I had in high school. I didn't like my high school bio class either, but I still earned an A in the class because my goal was to attend UC Berkeley or UCLA. I needed to do well, B or better, in all my classes to reach my goal; I knew this when I started high school. It doesn't seem like the students are thinking about their long-term goals when the decide not to do their work. Right now I'm wondering how do I reach the students who aren't turning in their assignments.

How can I convince a student that failing a class because he/she doesn't like it only hurts the him/her?

No comments: