Monday, October 20, 2008

First Presentation

I presented my first presentation; the topic was environmental engineering with a focus on water quality engineering. This presentation was about me and what I do. My goal was to convey how engineers use science and engineering to provide water that protects human health and the environment. My main concern was being too technical. I needed to be able to explain what I do without using a lot of technical terms. Somethings the students didn't understand because they haven't learned it yet, so I was able to expose them to some terminology that they will learn later in biology.

I think the presentation went well, although next time I need a demonstration. The students were paying attention and asking questions. I started off explaining how I arrived at graduate school and why. The students asked questions about how I paid for college and graduate school, why I came to Michigan (from California), and how I became interested in this field.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monisha,

This is a great way to get student interested in engineering and college. Hopefully, they'll be able to build a connect between school performance and career success. This may encourage them to become more interested in learning and even attempting to complete a HW assignment (or at least take the initiative to jot the assignment down).

Exposing them to terminology that will be applied later ind a great idea. Hopefully, they'll refer to your presentation later in the semester and begin to develop a greater understanding of your line of research.

Carol Cramer said...

Monisha,

I second Angela's comments. This is a great way to help students see the connection between what they are learning in class and engineering. It also helps them see a path to a future beyond high school.

Carol Cramer