Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Slime Lab

The planning and execution of my first chemistry lab was an experience. The planning went well, I had enough supplies for both classes, but I didn't factor in that some of the students would make mistakes and have to start over.

For this lab, the students were organized into eight groups of four. Each group had to make four types of slime: floam, silly putty #1, silly putty #2, and slime; each student in the group made one type of slime.

Overall, the students were excited to do the lab and they had fun making something that they could take with them. They students were able to take their slime home in a resealable sandwich bag. Quite a few of them didn't follow the instructions, so their slime, floam, or silly putty didn't come out right.

I think next time, I'll go over the procedure before I send them back to their lab stations.

1 comment:

Carol Cramer said...

Monisha,

I think going over the proedure might help. Also, you could have each group make one type of slime, then after they correctly made the slime; they could demonstrate to the other groups how to make that slime and share some with each of the other groups. Perhaps they could explain some of the pitfalls in not executing the procedures accurately. This is just an idea; I like that you have them actively involved.

Carol Cramer